The new two-story classroom building, which houses classrooms for Special Education, Culinary Arts and Computer-Aided Drawing, is located adjacent to the Cafeteria and Library. The design of the new building, with its use of gable roofs, clay tile, wood windows and stucco wall finish, pays homage to the historic character of the original campus buildings constructed in 1923.
A vaulted, two- story lobby with floor-to-ceiling windows serves as the primary circulation through the building; providing access to the first floor classrooms and stairways leading to the second floor. The first floor houses classrooms and auxiliary spaces for the special education program, including four classrooms, a Life Skills Lab, a counselor’s office, a changing room and student restrooms. The second floor houses a culinary classroom with a teacher demonstration area and 8 group cooking stations, a state-of-the-art computer-aided drawing (CAD) classroom and a large conference room.
All classrooms are outfitted with large LCD panels, speakers and audio-visual controls which allow teachers to project information from their computer or document camera to the LCD panel. The building incorporates many sustainable features such as clerestory windows for natural daylighting, energy-efficient mechanical systems, products utilizing recycled materials and LED lighting.